We sat down with Riawna Capri, Co-Owner of Nine Zero One Salon, to get the scoop on how she created Julianne Hough’s 2015 American Music Awards hairstyle. She dubbed the new style, “X Marks the Part,” which looks like a fresh new spin on the 90’s zig zag part. Riawna was gracious enough to share her step-by-steps as well as all of the UNITE products she used to create this look so you can duplicate this fun new style at home!
“X Marks the Part” – Julianne Hough’s 2015 AMA Hairstyle How-To
- Start with dry straight hair. Create a deep angled part, in the shape of a V. The key is to brush that piece forward and smooth it down with UNITE TRICKY Spray Wax to keep the part clean of fly aways.
- Next, do the same thing by creating another deep V, brush that piece forward, and smooth down with UNITE TRICKY Spray Wax. Continue to do the same until you have created the size you want.
- Next tie all the hair from behind the ear into a ponytail, to keep from messing up the parting. Then, take each side and add it by rubberbanding it to the pony very carefully. The trick is, you want to make sure to have all the hair brushed forward to disguise any scalp lines. This is the key to NOT having it look like the 90’s zig zag part.
- For the mini bun, we just looped her short hair once, allowing the ends of the hair to come off to the right side in an upward 45 degree angle.
- Once every thing is in place, lock it in with strength and shine! First, spray with UNITE SESSION-Max to make sure everything stays in place. Then follow with UNITE 7SECONDS GLOSSING Spray to create a radiant shine!